Saturday, August 6, 2011

Football, Invigilating, and Monkeys!

This past week has been full of football (or soccer). Every Thursday the trainees all play at the high school for about an hour and a half and it is a lot of fun. Normally we draw a crowd of Cameroonians who watch. I personally don't think they are there for our amazing strategy and skills, but mainly to laugh at us and wonder what the hell they are doing. Either way, it is a lot of fun. I almost made my first goal ever, but it was blocked at the last minute. Oh well... c'est la vie, maybe the next time I will get a goal!

Invigilating for those of you who don't speak Cameroonian English means proctoring exams, which is what I got to do yesterday. This also means that Model School is over! Except for the massive amounts of paperwork teachers in Cameroon have to do, and by hand. Luckily today I had to babysit my nephew all day so I had enough time to grade all 100 exams. And let me tell you some of the answers, if nothing else were creative! Too bad the passing rate wasn't that good, but on one hand the teachers changed every week. So maybe I will be more effective in the classroom.

Training is almost over, I can't believe I've already been in Cameroon for 10 weeks. And in a week and a half I will moving to a tiny village in the middle of the jungle by myself. It is a little daunting, but I think that they have prepared us. I can't say I'm not scared, but I am really excited to start doing what I came here to do!

Oh and in other news. On Thursday I ate dinner by myself, but my family said that there was bush mean in the gumbo (not like gumbo in the South, but this gumbo has the most disgusting consistency I have ever seen. It is thick, gummy, slimy, and mucusy. It is definitely an acquired taste I think). So instead of eating the gumbo I decided to play Russian Roulette with the bush meat. I have heard of anything from porcupine, dear, antelope, to rat. However, I don't think my gamble payed off, because unfortunately last night I decided to be brave and ask what it was exactly that I ate, and I found out that it was monkey. I don't know how I feel about this, I don't think good. But I definitely learned sometimes it is just better not knowing...

1 comment:

  1. why not a picture of the gumbo? you took a picture of the chicken liver you were eating...

    ReplyDelete